Tips for driving in Fog
We've all been there, you're driving along and unlike snow or heavy rain, FOG appears without warning and you're left struggling in seriously hazardous driving conditions!
We thought it only apt to divulge our top tips for driving in Fog this winter.
- Before setting off, clean your windows and windscreen and ensure all your lights are working. Wait until both the front and rear screens have demisted and never attempt to clear them as you’re driving along.
- Ensure you have a coat in the car and at least one piece of hi-vis clothing. Winter breakdowns are all too common and it’s important to be prepared.
- Switch on the Traffic Alert function on your car radio. It could prove invaluable when it comes to avoiding winter congestion.
- When you’re ready to leave,switch on the dipped headlights and only use front and rear fog lights where visibility is less than 100 metres. Never use full beam: the light will reflect off the fog and decrease your visibility.
- Use your windscreen wipers on an intermittent setting to clear the fine mist that collects and use the windscreen washers to clear any build up of winter road grime.
- Keep a close eye on your speedometer. Without reference points like buildings or trees, fog can cause a visual illusion and make you think you’re travelling slower than you actually are.
- If you do hit a patch of fog,do not hit the brakes hard. Simply ease off the throttle and gradually slow your speed. Braking hard could cause other drivers behind you to panic and brake even harder - pile-ups have been caused this way.
- Don’t fall into the trap of using the car in front as a reference point. It may feel comforting to be close to another car in thick fog, but it’s a false sense of security. Keep your distance and mind your surroundings.
- Equally, if someone if following closely behind you, don’t give in to the temptation to speed up. Stay at a constant speed and drive as fast as the conditions legally allow.
10. At junctions, wind the window down and listen for traffic. Pull out when you think it’s safe to do so and never hesitate in a position that will put you in the path of oncoming vehicles.
The Bells Crossgar Team
SALES EXECUTIVE Hours: Full Time The successful candidate for this position will…Read more >